Monday 7 January 2008

Pikin News


In between Christmas and New Year, we spent a few days in Makeni. Since my motorbike accident in the UK, I’d been quite nervous about being on a bike, but as ocadas (motorbike taxis) are the main form of transport in Makeni, I had to overcome that! It’s safe to say that after a hilarious incident whereby I was meant to be helping Grant at work and taking some kids round delivering letters, but managed to lose them (or did they lose me? I’m not sure!) I’ve pretty much overcome my nerves and in fact by the time I left makeni I was even starting to enjoy it!

Grant is a VSO based at Radio Maria, in Makeni. One of the projects he is working on there is making a news show for children. Because of my ridiculously enthusiastic approach to everything, I decided to volunteer to help Grant at work whilst I was in Makeni. How much help I actually was, I’m not sure. I think possibly that I was just a disruption to the kids actually doing anything at all! But I did have a lot of fun and working on that was one of the best parts of the holiday for me! The first show was broadcast whilst I was in the studio, but I also helped prepare the news for the second week and I was excited and nervous listening back in Freetown when it aired. I felt very proud of the achievements of Grant and the Children of God group who made the show and privileged to have been a part of their work.

1 comment:

Earsham said...

Glad you are getting over the bike accident.