Monday 7 January 2008

The Banana Way


Banana Island is a mini paradise, it’s just off the coast of Sierra Leone, a boat ride takes about 20 minutes and it is the place where I spent my Christmas. Diya, Grant, Julian and I spent 4 happy days enjoying the beach, swimming in the sea and eating freshly caught fish and looking for monkeys. There was a lot of laughter and we all mastered the art of doing nothing pretty well. Our room was decorated with the Christmas stockings Grant and I had both had made (great minds think alike!) and Christmas Day was spent out on a boat trip and then playing baseball on the beach, before heading to the village Christmas party.

It was a perfect Christmas, and none of us wanted to leave when it was time to go home, we had made good friends with the staff (who have even called us since we left!). I learned something about myself on that short trip and I understand more now about how important small exchanges are in making an impact as a VSO in a place like Sierra Leone. There’s more than just work to do here, the whole life that we live is important and I’m glad to think that even on our holidays we were able to do that. I’m looking forward to going back to Banana Island again!

1 comment:

Earsham said...

Sounds brilliant, I'll remember it every time I eat a banana

Love Dad