Friday 22 February 2008


Yesterday was my and ABJ’s birthday, although the celebrations have been going on for days before that. They comprised a mix of singing karaoke, eating, dancing, cooking, candle light, tequila and clothes. It was great fun, made all the more special by the wonderful people I got to spend them with. Una tenki!

ABJ and I share the same birthday, and therefore we are twins. Some people struggle to tell us apart. Now it’s even harder… because we have the same clothes!!! My wonderful brother had me my first Africana outfit made for my birthday, in the matching gara to his and I think it’s the most amazing gift I’ll ever be given. You can see us in the picture above (I’m on the left btw!).

I am incredibly lucky to have met such amazing people since coming to Salone. I can honestly say that since I arrived here, there has not been a single morning when I have woken up and not felt happy to be here. There has not been any time when I have wished I was back home, rather than being here. Right now I have an ear infection. I woke up this morning in a lot of pain. Krystle made all the arrangements to come with me to the doctor and got me all sorted before she went to work. Now I’m stuck in the house, my ear hurts and I feel pretty rubbish but try as hard as I can, there’s just no way I can manage to feel sorry for myself.

Of course I miss people and things. The night before my birthday I was remembering the year before, hanging out and seeing my birthday in with Ringo, Rob and Sam. I was really sad to have missed friend Alison’s wedding last week. I’d really like a bottle of brown ale (!). But there has not been a second of this experience that I would trade.

This is a wonderful country and it is a pleasure and a privilege to experience this life I have here.

1 comment:

Z said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Jayne and ABJ!