Friday 29 February 2008

Living in a bubble

OK, so I’ve had my ear infection for 8 days now – in one or the other ear. It’s not much fun, firstly it hurts. Secondly, I’m almost deaf. It’s meant that I’ve had a fair bit of time of work in the last couple of weeks. Which is a bit of a nightmare given that I’m really busy right now, with quite a few deadlines coming up. But I’m getting better.

It’s strange living in this bubble not quite able to hear anyone. Just getting to work becomes a lot more stressful than normal, because social interaction is so important. The other morning I went into work just for a couple of hours. I met a lovely man, Pa Roland, who was chatting away to me, and I felt terrible because I couldn’t hear half of what he was saying to me, but neither could I make him understand that it wasn’t because I don’t speak very good krio (although to be fair it could have been) but just because I was a bit deaf.

It’s also meant that I’ve ignored a few people who’ve greeted me and I just didn’t hear. And also that I’ve given a couple of people a shock (Krystle had to check I was breathing the other morning when she couldn’t wake me up!)

However, the time at home in the hammock on my balcony, has given me a lot of time to think and reflect on my experiences here. So it’s been a pretty good experience overall in that respect. It’s very easy to go for days and days without any real alone time here. Now you all know that I’m not really one for alone time, I get pretty bored hanging out with myself for too long. That was probably one of the things I was most worried about coming here. As it turns out, the personal challenge that is spending lots of time with me has largely fallen to Krystle, who seems to have remained relatively sane as a result!

Anyhow, this is just one of those quick and random blog posts to let you all know that I am here, I am alive and thanks to all my thinking time, I have a whole host of more interesting posts to write soon…

No comments: