Wednesday 9 April 2008

Challenge Jeneba!

OK, so many people believe that when people like me come out on voluntary placements it’s all about building schools and repairing hospitals. It isn’t, but sometimes it is. Like this weekend.

I went to Makeni (yes I go there a lot it’s my favourite place in Salone) to help my friend Simon with installing solar panels on the library. I had a 10 minute lesson in how to construct and re wire light fittings and was left to it for the rest of the day. What an experience… in between helping small children in the library with their reading “aunty aunty, what’s this one mean?” and generally causing a bit of a scene (it’s not often you walk into the library in Makeni and find a white woman fiddling with the electrics!) I managed to fit a few new lights. The guys working at the library told me that they had never seen a woman do that kind of work before. Then they thought I knew allsorts about electrics, and tried to get me to repair all kinds of appliances. Clearly I was good at convincing them I had a clue.

Anyway, there were some problems, and we didn’t get the light to work in Makeni that day, but it will do after a bit of rewiring (even I spotted that the wiring was a bit strange, which says something). And I learnt a bit about electrics. And got to visit my kids and my friends in Makeni. And buy lots of lapa.

We also had a lovely evening with Simon’s colleague Foday, who drove us to Makeni and his brother who invited us to eat dinner with them on Saturday night. Delicious food and great company… washed down with the best poyo in Salone.

So a good weekend all round.

No comments: