Thursday 29 November 2007

A bit about me...


OK, so I’ve been here for almost 7 weeks now and it sort of feels longer and sort of feels shorter… time goes fast here. Already it’s Thursday and another week is almost over! What doesn’t help is that I am currently planning my work schedule until the end of June… which is most of my time here accounted for… and it’s exciting stuff but I will write more about that some other time.

So, people ask me about what life is like here so I’ll try and write something about that now… so you know that I don’t have electricity, but that’s been fairly easy to get used to really. We have a generator at the office so I just bring everything into here to charge it up! The sun goes down about 6.30pm and we use candles from there which is pretty nice really I like it.

Food wise, as we don’t have a fridge, it takes a bit of planning each day. Generally one of us picks up food on the way home from work and we cook together, making sure to make enough so we have some for breakfast the next day. I’ve actually lost a fair bit of weight since I got here, which is proving a nightmare because half of my clothes are now too big for me. However I’m trying to eat as well as I can, which is harder than you might think as vegetables and fruit are seasonal so you can’t get a big selection (and they’re expensive too!). The only other health related issue I have is that I get horrible reactions to mosquito bites so my legs look awful at the moment, but they don’t hurt or itch, they just look HORRIBLE. My main concern about this is that we are having a party on Saturday night to say goodbye to my flatmate Krystle and my dress isn’t going to look that great accompanied by blotchy legs… oh and my dress is now a bit big for me too!

So, everyone has been asking about photos. I’ve not taken that many pictures, but I have posted a few on my facebook page now. The one on here is of me and two of my colleagues, Bakarr and Alimamy. The thing is I’m not a tourist so I don’t carry my camera everywhere. Also, the internet connection is slow and I just don’t have the time/ patience/ money to spend hours uploading pictures. But I’ll put a few more up, so that you can all see my tan (which by anyone else’s standards would be pathetic but by mine is amazing!) … basically if you want to see what Sierra Leone is like then come and visit me! (Seriously, do come, because I need some smaller clothes bringing out… and some flipflops… and chocolate raisins!)

No comments: